Program Details

E-mail Print PDF

What Students Need to Know?

USA Work & Travel

The program provides:

  • J-1 visa documentation
  • 4 months of insurance
  • Complete orientation
  • Student Program Handbook
  • Program administration and supervision
  • 24-hour emergency assistance
  • Job assistance (with additional fee)

The Program does NOT include:

  • Visa application fees at the U.S. Consulate/Embassy
  • SEVIS fee
  • Round trip airfare to the U.S.
  • Airport transfers
  • Transportation expenses
  • Any daily living expenses including rent, utilities, furnishings, meals etc.
  • Any union dues at the place of employment

Program Options

Self Placement:

You can choose the Self placed option and arrange your own employment in the US. This option gives you freedom to choose the location and type of job you wish to have during your USA Work & Travel Program. You will also be responsible for all the arrangements with the employer.
If you decide to find your own job, a written job offer must be submitted to SIVUX with your full application when applying for the USA Work & Travel Program.

Job Assistance:

With an additional fee you can receive job assistance from SIVUX. If you choose this option, SIVUX will provide a job for you and will assist you with the selection of employment. SIVUX will also provide all the necessary documentation about the employment and will assist with all the arrangements.

Program duration dates

You can enroll in the program during the period that coincides with your official summer holiday in your home country.


Northern Hemisphere
May - October


Southern Hemisphere
November - April

The duration dates of each participant can vary according to his/her availability. The exact dates during which you can stay and work in the US are determined on your DS-2019 form.
There is a requirement of a minimum 3-month work commitment. You are eligible to work for a maximum of 4 months with a 30-day post-program option to travel.

Post-program travel period

The DS-2019 form covers the period up to 4 months during which you can legally work in the U.S. The end date on your DS-2019 form (box 3) is the last day you can legally work in the U.S. After this date you are authorized to stay in the US for 30 more days for the purpose of domestic travel. During the post-program travel period you are allowed to travel only within the U.S. Once you leave the U.S. and you will not be able to re-enter.

If you overstay your visa without proper authorization you are subject to arrest and deportation. Furthermore, violation of immigration regulations may jeopardize the possibility of obtaining a U.S. visa in the future.


While you may wish the excitement and pleasure of living and working in the U.S. to go on forever, extending your stay beyond the designated program dates on your DS-2019 form is not possible.. You were accepted into the program and granted the J-1 visa on the condition that you would depart the U.S. upon the termination of your program. SIVUX has no authority to issue DS-2019 forms for student sponsorship outside the set program dates.

If you wish to change your status, we will not be able to assist you with this process. It is a very complicated process and we do not recommend it.


Once you enter the U.S. you are required to go to your pre-assigned job. You MUST go to the job that you originally accepted.

If you do not report to the original employer you will be reported to the Department of State, your visa will be cancelled and you will be subject to deportation.

Upon cancellation, you will be notified by SIVUX about your status via email. After cancellation, you must return to your home country immediately. SIVUX will notify the partner agency in your home country and will request to also inform your parents.

Jobs you CANNOT do

USA Work & Travel visa (J-1) does not allow you to do the following jobs:

  • Camp Counselor
  • Park Ranger
  • Nanny, Babysitter, Au Pair
  • Medical worker
  • Teacher or Coach
  • Crew member on the ship or airplane
  • Pilot
  • Door-to-door salesperson


Your USA Work & Travel provides insurance for all the participants throughout the full length of the program. Your insurance will cover exactly the same period as your DS-2019 form. This insurance can be only used within the U.S.

Even though you have insurance, you will have to pay part of your medical costs. This is called "Deductible". For each incident you are required to pay a $100 deductible and this money will not be refunded to you. If your medical bill is smaller than $100, you are required to cover the full amount by yourself. If you go to an emergency room without having an urgent accident or illness, you will be charged a $250 deductible.

If you need medical attention or treatment, please call the 24-hour assistance line at:


In the event of an emergency accident or illness, you may not have the time to call the Assistance Line immediately. However you must notify the Assistance Line within 48 hours about your accident or illness.

For each accident or illness you must also complete a Claim Form to receive a refund of your money. This does not include the deductible. The Claim Form must be completed in full, and signed by both the doctor and yourself. The Claim Form should be attached to each bill or statement you submit and sent to the address below within 60 days:


CareMed Claims
CISI Claims Department
River Plaza, 9 - West Broad Street
Stamford - CT - 06902-3788

It will take around 4 to 6 weeks to process your insurance bill. For more information about your insurance please see your CareMed Insurance Brochure


Follow us to the SNS: